Thursday, October 2, 2008

Three Days Old

The chicks continue to be tons of fun and we are loving having them. I had a momentary lapse of sanity and told my kids if they had permission and a good home, they could be a new pet owner! This has made many of my kids very happy but it has created more work for me. I laid in bed last night thinking about how I forgot to type up a "How to Take Care of Your New Baby Chick" form. My mind was already spinning when I got to school with things I needed to do. When I got to school the first thing I did was go check on the little chicks. I was sad to see three little friends hadn't made it over night. I had a fellow teacher come downstairs and help me with the clean up.

As of this morning we are at 15 little ones. These numbers continue to change as students select their favorite little guy from the bunch. So far I only have two official new homes for the babies but I expect more to be adopted tomorrow.

These little guys are definitely in close quarters and they make a huge mess constantly. These pictures were taken only moments after I changed the paper and gave them more food and water. Even as sweet as they are, they are not the brightest. We have to keep marbles in the water so that they will not drown themselves. They are so fun to watch and the kids love looking at them through the library window.

Tomorrow is our last day with the babies. We will be sad to see them go but luckily we can get frequent updates from the families who are taking them in.


No comments: